Tuesday 30 January 2018

Can you read this?



This is an experiment to find out if you can use different crochet stitches to make a picture.

I typed a phrase in a handwriting font onto a blank file in Photoshop. Then I restricted it to 5 colours, pixelated it into a graph and then assigned each block a combination of crochet stitches starting with the darkest and faded up to lighter ones with the lightest one being a blank square. I sat down, did the crochet, blocked it and ended up with this. It isn’t blocked very straight, I rushed it a bit, I have a heavy cold at the moment, my head is all foggy when I’m just sat still but but kneeling down on the floor sticking pins into the edges was giving me a pounding headache. I am such a wimp when I have a cold but looking on the bright side, I don’t have that awful flu that’s going round so I’m going to stop moaning now!

I’m not sure how easy it is to read, the holes in some of the characters aren’t as well defined as I thought they’d be so I need your help ... I’m kind of biased because I know what it says so I’m no judge of how clear it is. Can my blogging friends tell me what you think it says, please? I’d appreciate knowing how easy you thought it was to read; could you tell at a glance or did it take a while to figure out?

This piece is going to be turned into a wall hanging with some mixed media and seaside embellishments which I will reveal in a few days time.

If you could let me know what the phrase is in the comments, I would really appreciate your help!

8 comments:

  1. I think you love the sea? I found the first 3 words easy to read but sea was more difficult, and took a few goes. I thought it might have said sun initially, but it didn't quite fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for taking the trouble to reply and giving me some feedback. MTM also struggled with it a bit so I’m back to the drawing board in this one. I’ve only just realised I’ve given a clue about the last word in my posting ... leading the witness!

      Delete
  2. I thought it said I love the sun - hard to make out that last word. That's a tricky project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for your input, much appreciated Caroline!

      Delete
  3. I also thought it said "I love the sun", but it didn't quite seem like "sun". So I held my phone screen further away and then I could see it said "I love the sea". Maybe you could try a traditional filet crochet layout and substitute your other stitches. It might separate the letters better for legibility. (I hope you are planning to drive for a nice seaside holiday.) Best wishes on your art project as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your message! I’m thinking it might work better in colour, I want to try it as a corner2corner project next. I have so many crochet ideas in my head I want to try, not enough time!

      Delete
  4. I love this concept. I started out wishing it were all 'blocky', and on straight lines, but the more I look at it, I like how the 's' goes below the baseline, the 'v' is shorter, etc. It's more freeform. Imagine if you were to crochet this in cursive? That's something I would try. I love to crochet! You seem a lot like me, plenty of crafts and various art forms. Never bored, are we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, I’m waving madly. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message. Freeform crochet is something else I want to try, I’ve seen some amazing examples and you’re so right, I’m never ever bored!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting, I love it when people leave me messages!