Friday 12 March 2010

Back to black


I've had chance to experiment with the three new blacks that I got with my glass order last week. The Reichenbach Deep Black produced akamai beads which looks identical to the Vetrofond Black result published a few days ago so I haven't photographed those. The photograph above shows the beads I made with CIM Hades. These produce the best black akamai bead in my opinion. Just as black as Effetre Intense but without so much unpredictable spreading. The only colour is from the silvered ivory stringer which lends the organic feel.

The photograph below is using Effetre Silver Black. No ... don't even look, they've done that horrible yellowing thing that I sometimes get when I encase silver foil with clear (this is CIM clear). If I encase when the base bead is slightly cooler, I might lose that but I think they're so awful, I'm not going to give them another go. I'll stick with Hades for black akamai beads and Vetrofond/Reichenback for the bluish navy black ones. I'm sure there are much nicer ways to use Effetre Silver Black but I won't be making akamai beads from it! Actually, I changed my mind, I've deleted the picture, I don't wany anyone to see them yuk-yuk-yuk.

{Photo deleted}

At the same time as my glass order, I got a new lentil press. It has taken me a few goes to get used to the amount of glass to use to get a nice shape and the dimpled in ends. These are the latest two, they're 20mm long. I'm particularly happy with the black/white/grey one. The other has been etched. I've never made a lentil so big before. In fact I do have a bigger lentil press but I have never melted enough glass to fill it! One day I will give it a go ...

Anyway, apologies for the bad photograph, it's not been very sunny here, the reflection on the black one makes it look like it's dented but honest - it isn't!
I seem to be making a lot of monochrome beads recently, don't I? It's not just that a customer asked me for a black and white akamai. It could also be something to do with Laura Sparling's March calendar picture which shows a collection of her lovely black and white beads, but there's more to it than that. I have a special occasion lunch to attend next week and I want to make a nice necklace to match my top which is black white and a bit of grey. I'm wearing it with charcoal trousers and maybe a new pair of boots, if not I'll be wearing my old black ones. I am cutting it a bit fine timewise to get it all finished though!

0   Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting, I love it when people leave me messages!